Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Carpe Diem's "Japanese Garden"



Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

I love to introduce an all new feature here at Carpe Diem Haiku Kai Special and I think this new feature will give you all a joyful challenge.
This new feature, this new challenge, goes back to the roots of haiku and challenges you to go back to basic. It's very similar to our other special feature "Goes Back to Its Roots". The title of this new feature is referring to the classic rules of haiku, but in this new feature not all those classic rules have to be used, just a few of them.

Which rules you have to use here?

1. 5-7-5 syllables
2. A moment as short as the sound of a pebble thrown into water
3. A kigo
4. A deeper, spiritual meaning
5. And last, but not least, it must have a nature image

Almost the same as in our "Goes Back to Its Roots", but for all a little bit different I think. As the title already says ... it has to be something which can be seen in your garden, but in this case garden can be seen a bit broader, because you also may use an image from a park in your neighborhood or e.g. a park such as Yellowstone Park.


Let me give it a try with the above photo which I took in the city-park just around the corner in my hometown. This park is ... an oasis in a busy part of my hometown. As I walk here I don't even feel that I am in the city. In spring this park is a peaceful place and in winter, as the pond is frozen, it's a joyful place to skate and meet other people from my neighborhood. In summer you can even swim here. And of course in autumn it's the place to be to search for chestnuts and colorful leaves. 

Here is my attempt to write a classical haiku inspired on the city-park just around the corner.

heart of the neighborhood
in every season of the year
the place to contemplate

A beauty I can say, how immodest, but it's what I feel as I read this haiku again and again. It's a strong one and I think it's in touch with the goal of this new feature. What do you think?

Well ... I hope you like this new feature and I hope it will become a feature that is loved by you all. It's up to you now to take up this new challenge and share your thoughts with us all here at Carpe Diem Haiku Kai Special. Have fun, be inspired and share.

This episode of CD "Japanese Garden" will stay open until January 28th 11.59 AM (CET) and I will try to publish a new episode of "Japanese Garden" later on that same day. !! This episode is now open for your submissions !!





1 comment:

  1. I like this little feature...it was a restful and pleasant one to do
    Peace and love
    Siggi

    ReplyDelete